Building Sustainable Communities
Westoe Crown Village
Creating a new community
During 2006, George Wimpey North East continued with the fourth phase of housebuilding at Westoe Crown Village in South Shields. We will be building a total of 670 homes on the coastal setting of the former Westoe Colliery. One NorthEast, a Regional Development Agency, reclaimed and remediated the site in conjunction with us before work began. Working with The Prince's Foundation and Development Agency, we have designed a traditional South Tyneside urban street form.
- The design received a South Tyneside Council commendation and was a runner-up in the 21st Century Living Good Design Awards in 2006.
- Westoe Crown Village will ultimately include a village centre with a community centre, school, shops and offices built around a central park. The community centre - which will be gifted to the residents in due course - will have a hall, meeting rooms and space for a café for local residents. A number of pocket parks will be distributed throughout the development to provide further communal green spaces.
- A state-of-the-art primary school has been built on the site, which is now fully subscribed and attended by nearly 700 pupils. The school uses solar panels to heat water and recycled water for flushing toilets.
- New homes use a range of water efficiency measures such as spray head taps and flow reduction for showers.
- The development uses Home Zone principles, which aim to minimise traffic and provide a network of friendly streets and open spaces.
- There is easy access to public transport and we are setting up a car sharing scheme to be managed from the community centre. We have also integrated the Coast to Coast cycle route into the village.
- We have set up a community intranet site to encourage residents to communicate with one another as well as the manager of the community centre so they can participate in the life of their village.
- Acclaimed sculptor Tim Shutter will provide public art for the village, using the instruments of the former colliery brass band as a theme.
- Extensive community and stakeholder consultation was undertaken during the early stages of the project. The local community is extremely supportive of derelict industrial land being turned into a thriving local community.
- Westoe is one of 11 developments recognised by the Home Builders Federation and The Prince's Foundation for adopting Foundation design principles that help to improve quality of life and contribute to greater energy efficiency.
- Award winning design
- Mixed use development
- Social interaction
- Community consultation
- Green transport
- Home Zones
- Land remediation
Benefits to the local community
- Regeneration of derelict land
- Community centre and school
- Retail and office space
- Public transport, cycle route and car share club
- Community intranet site
Back to the top